Skip to Content
chevron-left chevron-right chevron-up chevron-right chevron-left arrow-back star phone quote checkbox-checked search wrench info shield play connection mobile coin-dollar spoon-knife ticket pushpin location gift fire feed bubbles home heart calendar price-tag credit-card clock envelop facebook instagram twitter youtube pinterest yelp google reddit linkedin envelope bbb pinterest homeadvisor angies

Worrying about what to bring to your tax appointment may not be worrying you as much as the fact that you haven’t already filed your taxes!

If you need more time to file your taxes, the April 17 deadline is still important to you. You will need to file for an extension which will extend your deadline to October 15, 2018.  However, you still need to pay the taxes you owe to avoid penalty and interest charges! If you can’t afford to pay the taxes you owe, there are steps which can be taken, depending on your particular situation and circumstances. The deadline for attending to these issues is Tuesday, April 17, 2018.

Stay calm and we’ll start with the basic information!

  • Proof of identification (photo ID)
  • Social Security cards for you, your spouse and dependents
  • An Individual Taxpayer Identification Number (ITIN) assignment letter may be substituted for you, your spouse and your dependents if you do not have a Social Security number
  • Proof of foreign status, if applying for an ITIN
  • Birth dates for you, your spouse and dependents on the tax return
  • Wage and earning statements (Form W-2, W-2G, 1099-R,1099-Misc) from all employers
  • Interest and dividend statements from banks (Forms 1099)
  • Health Insurance Exemption Certificate, if received
  • A copy of last year’s federal and state returns, if available
  • Proof of bank account routing and account numbers for direct deposit such as a blank check
  • To file taxes electronically on a married-filing-joint tax return, both spouses must be present to sign the required forms
  • Total paid for daycare provider and the daycare provider’s tax identifying number such as their Social Security number or business Employer Identification Number
  • Forms 1095-A, B and C, Health Coverage Statements
  • Copies of income transcripts from IRS and state, if applicable

You will also need to bring other information to your tax appointment which you may have received if you have additional circumstances or responsibilities. These could include the following if you are:

  • a student or have student loans
  • a parent of a special needs child
  • responsible for the care of a parent or adult child
  • the trustee or executor of an estate
  • an international taxpayer or have foreign accounts, funds, property, etc.
  • in business, self-employed or are part of the sharing economy
  • an owner of Bitcoin or other cybercurrencies
  • newly retired
  • recently relocated
  • the victim of theft or casualty losses
  • buying a home and have a mortgage

These are just a few examples of issues which could generate paperwork which you’ve added to your “tax appointment paperwork” file. Bring everything.

Make your tax appointment!

This is the important issue. Almost more important than having all your paperwork gathered. Letting the deadline pass without at least filing for an extension and handling the options which are available to pay any taxes you may owe is critical. Failure could raise red flags to the IRS and put you on their radar and cost you in penalties and ever-increasing interest payments.

What’s the bottom line?

If you’ve never consulted a CPA tax professional for individual or business tax preparation and strategy, now is the time to do it.

We establish and maintain a personal and business relationship with our clients. Your LIFE is your business and your BUSINESS is your life, and we’re here for YOU.

Call us at 479-668-0082. Use my Calendy Page (it’s easy) to set an appointment or email us.

You may also be interested in:

Information business owners are still needing from the IRS

ABLE savings accounts and new tax changes